Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I and I Bob Marley



Author Link - Tony Medina

Illustrator Link - Jesse Joshua Watson

Review
A new favorite in the ERL:
Medina, Tony. (2009). Illustrated by Jesse Joshua Watson. I and I Bob Marley. New York: Lee & Low Books.

Just arrived. A biography in poetic form. Have you read it yet? I was completely entranced by the language, from
I am the boy
From Nine Miles
The one sing
Like three little birds
From my mum mum belly
Come to bring
My message
Of Love Love
Love

to

Music is the road I take to the well of hope with its endless spring of
Birds whistling like children laughing and playing beneath my window.

Watson’s illustrations bring new meaning to the words, emotional impact. Fear and uncertainty is palpable in the eyes of the 6 year old child riding the bus alone, on his way to Kingston, illustrating the poem, "When My Papa Sends for Me." Medina lists his sources at the beginning, and offers notes at the end that bring this biographical poem together. That’s what I think, but what do you think? Read it, then click on comments and give us your view.

1 comment:

Phillicia said...

This book is a beautiful read. It shows that even as a young person Bob Marley used powerful words to describe the feelings that he felt at the time. My favorite is "Pitch-Black Sky". Here he is soul searching deeply into himself recognizing the pains his people have endured and what he wants to do help them.

I recommend this book to anyone of any age. The watercolor paintings pop out pull readers into the world of Bob Marley.

This book would be a great influence on young children who may or may not have a passion for writing. It shows that even great musical artists have written in their own ways to get their point across to the world. "I and I Bob Marley" is the perfect introduction into the world of poetry.

Phillicia Jackson
Oakland University Student